How to install APK Files on Windows Phone?
Love some of the Android apps not yet ported to Windows? Reports leaked in June discovered how Microsoft’s Project Astoria will make it absolutely easy for developers to port their existing Android apps to the Microsoft platform. While they do that, here is something that you could do yourself to get your favorite Android apps on your Windows phones.
How to install Android APK on Windows:
The official documentation of Project Astoria got leaked recently. Project Astoria is a bridge for Android enabling developers to port Android apps to Windows 10 Mobile. Some folks have created a tool called wconnect that helps you install Android APK on Windows phones. Following are the supported devices that you could install Android APKs of your favorite apps on along with the complete guide.
- Lumia 920
- Lumia 925
- Lumia 929 (Lumia Icon)
- Lumia 830
- Lumia 930
- Lumia 1520
- Lumia 635
- Lumia 730
- Lumia 820
- Lumia 435
- Lumia 928
Note: Installing APKs without permission is considered piracy. This is a third-party tool so proceed if you are confident about handling any and all the issues that may appear.
How to install Android apps on Windows 10 Mobile:
Required files: Download wconnect tool and Android SDK adb tool.
- Extract the contents of the downloaded files to a folder.
- Open wconnect folder and install IpOverUsbInstaller.msi and vcredist_x86.exe.
- On your Windows 10 Mobile, go to Settings > Update & security > For Developers and enable Developers Mode and Device Discovery.
- Go to the extracted wconnect folder and open a command prompt with Shift + Right-Click and click on Open Command Windows Here.
- Next, connect your Windows Mobile phone to the computer either via USB (recommended) or via Wi-Fi. Type in the pairing codes, if asked.
- Go to the extracted adb folder and open a command prompt like before.
- Make sure that your Windows phone is connected: type adb devices in the command prompt. Enter to run it. This will show you the list of all the connected devices.
- Copy the APK file of the Android app that you want to install in the adb folder directory and type adb install APKNAME.apk where APKNAME is the name of your APK file.